The Department of Industrial Chemistry was established in 1985.
Objectives of the department:
- To conceive and conduct programmes in Industrial Chemistry at post-graduate and M.Phil. levels to train manpower for the academic and research institutions and chemical industries,
- To carry out basic, applied and advanced research in area of chemistry
- To associate with institutions and industries in a meaningful way to transfer technology and
- To render consultancy an testing services to the industries.
Vision and Mission
- To conduct world class master and research programmes in industrial chemistry and
- To carry out advanced research in the branches of Chemistry.
The department is offering M.Sc. Chemistry with specializations in (i) Electrochemistry, (ii) Textile Chemistry and M.Phil. Chemistry programs. Ph.D. program is offered in full-time and part-time mode. Many advanced equipments like, UV-VIS, FT IR, AAS, Elemental analyser, TG/DTA, DSC, Impedance analyser, AFM, Electrochemical workstation, Computer colour matching, instrumentation and internet facilities available in the department and university to researchers of the department has led to good quality output in terms of publications in high impact factor journals.
The department has generated over Rs. 7.31 crores of funds from UGC, DST, AICTE, DRDO, DRDL, CSIR, DCI-SSCP and TNRSP to carry out research projects and Research consultancy in many advanced research areas. Consultancy services were provided by the department to various organisations and industries such as Dredging corporation, DRDL, BHEL, Tamil Nadu Road Sector project and Salem-Dharmapuri chamber of commerce. The department has taken 16 Indian and International patents.
This department has been recognized by UGC-SAP (DRS), DST-FIST and DST-PURSE to carry out advanced research in the field of green chemistry, polymer chemistry, electrochemistry, textile chemistry, nanomaterials and solar cells in which active research works are under progress. The department has produced 108 Ph.Ds and currently 44 scholars are pursuing their Ph.D. Program. Our Faculties have published over 762 research papers in the reputed International and National refereed SCI journals and 598 research papers presented in conferences. The department has organized 14 National conferences, 6 workshops and conducted 1 UGC refresher course.
The department faculty members have received invitations to visit and collaborate with many reputed international institutions and also received many awards at national and international levels.